- This event has passed.
Adopting Least Restrictive Practices within Aged Care
June 16, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm$250.00 – $280.00
Due to unforeseen circumstance this session has been cancelled
If you are interested in this session please enquire here
This workshop is designed for Carers to provide an understanding of what constitutes a restraint and how to apply least restrictive practices.
The application of restraints, for ANY reason, is an imposition on an individual’s rights and dignity and, in some cases, may subject the person to an increased risk of physical and/or psychological harm. The inappropriate use of restraint may constitute assault, battery, false imprisonment or negligence. Staff need to identify, in a proactive approach with management, how to prevent situations that may lead to a perceived need for restraint.
With a restraint free approach, the use of any restraint must always be the last resort after exhausting all reasonable alternative management options. A way to ensure the safety of residents is not compromised, is to know what restraint free options are available.
Training outcomes would include:
- Staff would understand a restraint-free environment and why restraint is not appropriate (linked to the Department of Health and Aging decision-making framework)
- Staff would have strategies for minimising the use of restrictive practices in residential aged care (Workshop some scenarios if possible and discuss restraint free options) will use case studies.
- Highlight common misunderstandings about the use of restraint e.g., it prevents falls.
- The impact of restraints on human behaviour
- All staff know where to seek assistance if they are concerned or have any questions.