- This event has passed.
Maintaining Connection: Building and sustaining older people from diverse backgrounds (CHSP/Home Care)
February 14, 2022 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm$30.00 – $105.00
Maintaining Connection: How to build and sustain meaningful connections with older people from diverse backgrounds to improve health and well-being outcomes. Humans are hardwired to connect with one another, and this connection affects our health. Research shows that when older people lack social connections or report frequent feelings of loneliness, they tend to suffer higher rates of morbidity and mortality, are prone to infection, depression, and cognitive decline. Meaningful connection is therefore a vital component to enable older people to maintain optimal health and a greater sense of well-being. Frontline staff and volunteers in the home and community care sector play a key role in identifying social disconnection and implementing strategies to help combat perceived loneliness and social isolation faced by care recipients. This 90min interactive workshop will provide frontline staff and volunteers, with the knowledge and tools to improve care outcomes for older people at risk of social isolation and loneliness. Participants will also have access to a toolkit of supporting materials and resources for ongoing personal reflection and development. Learning Outcomes:
- Understand the impact of social connection on the ageing mind and body.
- Identify the different types of loneliness and strategies to overcome it.
- Utilise tools to identify social disconnection.
- Apply practical strategies to engage care recipients and their families to become more socially connected.
- Effectively use the ‘Village Model’ to enable care recipients’ to build meaningful connections and maintain wellness